“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Summary from goodreads.com

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.





..........................................................................................................................................................

Hey!!! It's Rach!!!This is my first post so here it goes. So I want to recommend Uglies. It is definitly on my Fav Books list. It is part of a trilogy. The other books are Pretties and Specials. There's another book called Extras that's kinda a spin-off/sequel to the series, but it's DEFINITLY not as good (then again, I may only think that because I have fallen in love with the characters in the first three books and they're not really in it). Alright so a quick overview of the book: So Tally Youngblood is about to turn 16 and she'll get the operation that turns her pretty. She'll finally get to move to New Pretty Town (where the new pretties live) like she's been dreaming of her whole life. A few weeks before the operation, she becomes friends with a girl named Shay. Shay doesn't want to be pretty. Shay eventually runs off to a place called The Smoke where everyone stays Uglies. Tally must go find her and bring her back in order to turn pretty. ***Spoiler Alert*** When she gets to The Smoke, she finds out the horrors of the pretty operation. The operation gives your brain these lesions that changes the way you think. Tally doesn't want to be pretty anymore. Tally also falls in love with a guy named David at The Smoke. She learned this info from his parents. *End of Spoiler*. So the main character in this book is Tally Youngblood. She is probs one of my favorite young women characters out of all the books i've read. Westerfeld really brings her to life in his writing. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes from Tally:

“My name is Tally Youngblood. Make me pretty.”

“From now on, no one rewires my mind except me.”

I think Westerfeld does a great job of bringing Tally's world and all the people in it to life. Here's just an example of his writing to make you hooked on the book even more:



"The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit. Of course, Tally thought, you'd have to feed your cat only salmon-flavored food for a while, to get the pinks right. THe scudding clouds did look a bit fishy, rippled into scales by a high-altitude wind. As the light faded, deep blue gaps of night peered through like an upside-down ocean, bottomless and cold.

Any other summer, a sunset like this would have been beautiful. But nothing had been beautiful sincee Peris turned pretty. Losing your best friend sucks, even if it's only for three months and two days."


So that was basically most of the first page. I think it's a wonderful description and it gives you a nice cliff-hanger at the end :) I wish I could put the whole book one here!!! But sadly, that would take months and I don't feel like getting arrested for copywriting. I really hope this makes you RRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYwant to read it now!!! Well, ttfn

-Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...